Manual print quality inspection or using strobed video web viewing systems (which monitor only small portions of the web), fall short of what is required for capturing defects before they start impacting your minimal quality levels. This invariably leads to expensive reprinting, extra operational pressures, increased waste and ultimately lower profits and declining client satisfaction levels.
Discovery SmartPQ is a comprehensive print quality inspection system for monitoring 100% of the web using high performance line scan imaging, high definition web viewing and automated defect detection technology for web print, labels and packaging applications.
Discovery SmartPQ is a high performance upgrade to traditional web viewing technology. Operators can view the entire web in high definition, and select critical areas to zoom in and view in real time, even at web speeds in excess of 350 meters/min (1150 ft./min).
- Uninterrupted operation for 100% full web inspection
- Full HD quality, multi display options: view multiple areas of web at different magnifications
- Picture in Picture functionality
- Web Meter: colour coded, web position view of each defect along the web length
- Streaks, creases, hickies, smears, ink spots & voids
- Missing, filled-in or broken text & images
- Die-cut and positional variations
- Print mis-registration
- Colour Variation Measurement
- Intelligent, fast master image auto training
- Smart scan set-up for multi-lane labels
- PDF Compare for master image setup
- Operator light & audible alarms/warnings
- Rewinder jog/stop (where possible)
- Marking & flagging devices
Defect History / Reporting
- Overview report of all print defects
- Review mode facility enables operator to review the history of defects
- Image archive
- Roll mapping
Web Printing/Labels (offset, digital & narrow web presses) – Cost effective replacement for existing web viewing systems for real-time 100% web viewing and inspection
Regulated Packaging & Leaflet (Pharma, Food, Commodities) – Verification of critical data (dosage, expiry/sell by dates, barcodes) against master image to meet government and industry regulations
Laminators & Coating Equipment – Check for lamination errors (creases, tears, bubbling, adhesion issues) or coating errors for error free, high-quality packaging.
Plastic Card Processing (financial phone/loyalty card processing) – check for scratches, printing and lamination defects. Scratch-off application errors
- Add intelligence, capability and life expectancy to legacy equipment
- Ensure print meets clients print quality specification SLAs
- Improve operational efficiency
- Lower labor costs
- Liability protection
- Reduce re-work, waste and spoilage
- Enhanced accountability
- Proof of production and quality performance
- Meet government & industry quality regulations & specifications
- Machine independent – Can be retro-fitted to most existing printing and finishing equipment
- Fast – 64bit architecture enables conditional & parallel processing for high speed, web, labels and plastic card production
- Scalable – Adapts to changing customer requirements. Modular pricing
- Reliable – 24/7 performance for uninterrupted, 100% inspection
- Flexible – Supports a multitude of verification & Inspection capabilities simultaneously on the same piece of equipment
- Supported – Comprehensive maintenance contracts featuring remote diagnostics
SmartPQ Case StudiesMore Case Studies
This client is a large and long-established producer of paper and board laminates used for consumer packaging, within the premium retail sectors such as fine spirits, tobacco, confectionery and beauty. Laminated packaging boards are widely used for high-end folding cartons, packaging inserts and book covers which are fully over-printable on the high speed commercial printing lines.
- To produce and deliver high volumes of metallic laminated material that met the strict quality specifications set by their customers
- The existing quality assurance process, where the operators manually inspect the reels during production, fell short of their customers’ requirements and increased production costs
- The company determined that they needed an in-line automated surface inspection system that inspected 100% of the roll.
- Implemented Discovery SmartPQ with an 8K linescan camera, mounted on a Laminator, producing 1.5m wide laminated material running up to 300 m/min (985 fpm)
- Discovery SmartPQ configured to surface inspect defects greater than a specified size and frequency.
- Operators are able to view the entire web in high definition, and select critical areas to zoom in and view in real time
- When defects are detected, a tabbing device is activated to precisely mark the roll edge and the details of each defect (type, location, severity) are automatically logged
- Full rolls are mounted on an slitter where each defect is quickly located using the roll tabs and the defect is spliced out, as required, to meet the specification
- To deliver a solution that guarantees no duplication of tracking numbers on labels, within a 12 month period
- Existing process to manually inspect a sample of the labels fell short of their client’s requirements, increased production costs and introduced potential business risks
- The company determined they needed an automated inspection system that inspected ALL labels to mitigate potential risks
- Automating the QC process to detect defects on laminates has significantly reduced complaint rates and has satisfied a key requirement for their major, prestigious customer base
- The SmartPQ system has also considerably reduced the time spent to splice out defects, increasing the operational efficiency and profitability of the laminating line
- Due to the growing confidence in the SmartPQ system, combined with the quality of the service received from Lake Image Systems, a second SmartPQ system is being considered for an adjacent laminator line
- By being able to offer high quality laminated board, the company has strengthened its position as one of the leading supplier of laminated packaging productions.
Related Case Studies
Opus Trust Marketing – Enabling 100% Document Integrity for Mission Critical, Highly Regulated Document ProductionApril 24, 2018
Opus Trust Marketing is a leading provider of outsourced document services that creates, prints, mails...Read more
High Cotton USA Inc., Gets the Details Right for Mission Critical Financial and Healthcare Document ProductionApril 3, 2018
High Cotton USA Inc. is a service bureau that specializes in the design and production...Read more