Billions of variable data labels are used daily to track or trace goods, optimise workflow, provide brand protection and identification or deliver important consumer information. That’s a lot of functionality in a small space. Whether a label serves as a routing barcode on a postal item or applied to assist the identification of products, the information printed on them needs to be legible, accurate and the label itself must be correctly applied. Label vision systems provide the necessary capabilities to ensure these requirements are met.
- Reliable reading of barcodes and unique identifiers on high speed, multi-lane digital label presses and converters
- Ability to provide multiple simultaneous capabilities such as base stock verification to ensure correct label stock is being used for correct jobs, comparison to a data file, image archiving and integrity reporting at high production speeds
- Ability to read from challenging, highly reflective surfaces such as holograms and foils, and ultraviolet and infrared printed codes
- Ability to ensure that all items within a print file are processed without missing or duplicate pieces.
- Bar-Code ANSI/ISO grading and reporting to ensure linear barcodes, 2D/QR codes and GS-1 codes comply with guaranteed contract specifications and international standards.
- Detailed inspection and precise print quality detection to identify print quality defects associated with ingredients, dosage and usage information
- Integration with “Track & Trace” applications for Pharma, Tax Stamps and high value consumables that must be tracked throughout the product lifecycle
- Seamless integration with third party processing equipment such as in-line inkjet printers, feeders, affixers, wrapping and labelling equipment for real-time tracking to ensure the correct variable, matched information is printed on the correct the label.
- Extraordinary read rates to keep up with the latest label converting equipment
- Comprehensive integrity and audit trail reporting for all pieces processed.
Solutions for Label Manufacturers
Lake Image Systems is a global technology leader in providing inspection technology to the Label printing industry with extensive solutions for simultaneous print quality, integrity verification, bar-code grading and production/piece level reporting. Our machine vision technologies and application engineering have years of proven performance in the field.
Food & Pack Labelling
Food and packaging labels are becoming more complex, with variable data, traceability devices and RFID security tags. Demands for increased throughput, improved process efficiency and quality assurance are driving the dependency on inspection to reduce the risk of costly product returns, enhanced client satisfaction, and ultimately protect profitability. Our Discovery systems focus on print and label inspection requirements specifically for the food and packaging environment. Return on investment can be quickly achieved through reduced inspection costs, improved efficiency, waste reduction and reduced risk.
Pharma, Shipping & Security Labels
Discovery’s standard verification, quality control and reporting tools can easily be applied to pharmaceutical, shipping and security labels such as tax stamps and authentication/anti-counterfeit labels. Our solutions read critical data even from challenging surfaces, and UV/IR printed codes and validates them for accuracy, integrity (missing/duplication detection) and compliance to industry standard protocols. Our Discovery suite can easily communicate with an MIS system associated with pharmaceutical track & trace or lifecycle tracking system within a converting or packaging facility.
Lake Image Systems is a leader in delivering cost-effective print quality and integrity management solutions to the labeling industry, providing:
- Variable data integrity, including weight, batch/lot code, sell-by dates, correct label flash/promotional label inspection
- Missing/duplicate detection
- ANSI/ISO Bar-code grading & quality
- Pin number & Scratch off verification
- Handles highly reflective surfaces & UV/IR printed codes
- ePedigree tracking/Pharmaceutical Vision Systems
- Sequence/batching/sorting verification
- Inline inkjet integration & print verification
- Database matching
- Base stock verification
- Track & Trace reporting
- Integrity & Audit reporting
The Discovery systems are scalable, from inspection only, to full roll-up modules designed to fit within your existing label processing lines. Comprehensive maintenance and support contracts are available to ensure maximum system availability, long operational life, and future proofing.
- Narrow web presses
- Off-line Label Inspection equipment
- Sheet fed presses
- Packaging lines
- Digital & Hybrid label presses
- Robotic palletizers and carton packers
- Converting equipment
- Label applicators & Stamping machines
Discovery Multiscan is a suite of bolt-on camera and scanner based integrity verification and reporting solutions which integrate on new or legacy narrow web, digital and hybrid printing, converting, and labelling equipment.LEARN MORE
Discovery Enterprise is a centralised integrity management system for control of high volume variable data label jobs, shared across multiple print presses within a label production environment.LEARN MORE
Related Case Studies
REYNDERS label printing – Automation and 100% Verification of ScanTrust QRcodes for Secure Packaging PrintingJuly 13, 2018
REYNDERS label printing’s roots date back to 1956, when its founder, Emile Reynders, started a...Read more
Fedopress Automate Variable Data Validation for One Billion Tax Stamps AnnuallyApril 25, 2017
Fedopress, the state owned print service provider to the Belgian Federal Public Service FINANCE, produces...Read more